Please note. In the UK the way of training Iyengar Yoga Teachers is changing. There will be no intake of new trainees in summer 2018. If you have an interest in learning to teach Iyengar Yoga and already have been attending Iyengar Yoga classes for at least 3 years, then please email Sheila for advice as to how to proceed. Further details of the new procedures will follow soon.
Current Course (2017/2018)
This course is for those who wish to train for the Introductory Teaching Certificate in Iyengar Yoga, which is an internationally recognised qualification. The UK course and teaching certificate is endorsed, overseen and assessed by the Iyengar Yoga association of the United Kingdom, known as IY(UK).
For acceptance onto a Teacher Training course a student:
- must have completed a minimum three years of study and regular attendance at classes with an approved Iyengar Yoga Teacher
- should have developed a personal practice of the Introductory Level syllabus
- will be seen by the teacher trainer (preferably at a selection day) before being accepted onto the course; selection normally takes place in the summer term
- needs to be a student member of IY(UK).
- The teacher training course runs for a minimum of two years
- There will be at least 140 hours of tuition with the teacher trainer during the training sessions
- There will be written assignments during each year of the training course
- The course will cover asana, pranayama, and basic philosophy together with some anatomy and physiology.
- At the end of the course there will be a practical and theory assessment which is organised and overseen by IY(UK)
- In order to take the assessment the trainee needs to have passed the course work assignments, and hold a current First Aid certificate.
- Training normally takes place on one Sunday a month from 9:30am to 5pm
- There may also be one full weekend of training during the year (additional fee £50)
- In the second year it is advisable that each trainee shadows a recognised Iyengar Yoga teacher during regular classes in order to gain further experience
- The course fee is £900 per year, payable in three instalments of £300 in July, November, and March
- Continuation on the training course is at the discretion of the teacher trainer
- For details of how to apply for the teacher training course or for more information please contact Sheila
24th February 2019
24th March 2019
27/28th April 2019 (extra training weekend, fee £50)
19th May 2019
30th June 2019 CANCELLED
21st July 2019
22nd September 2019
13th October 2019
10th November 2019
8th December 2019 (tbc)